Although some of the coolest smart home gadgets can be controlled through an app, a smart home hub will take things to a whole new level. Without a sufficient smart home control hub, your home will never truly be “smart”. By completely embracing smart home technologies, you will be able to interlink the best smart home gadgets together. Once everything is in place, you will be able to enter your home and your lights will automatically turn on. This will be the result of your smart light bulb working in conjunction with your home’s motion sensor.
Your smart home hub will act like a unifier between these devices. Below, you will learn all about these gadgets, what they do and you will find a breakdown of the best smart home systems on the market.
- 1 What Is The Best Smart Home Hub?
- 2 Crestron CP3 3-Series Control System
- 3 HomeSeer Home Troller S6 Home Automation Controller: Best Home Automation System
- 4 HomeSeer Home Troller-Sel Home Controller: Best Home Automation Systems
- 5 Samsung SmartThings Hub
- 6 Wink Connected Home Hub
- 7 VeraEdge Home Controller
- 8 Logitech Harmony Home Control
- 9 Lutron L-BDG2-WH Caset Wireless Smart Bridge
- 10 Securifi Almond 2015 – Wireless Router/Range Extender And Home Automation Hub
What Is The Best Smart Home Hub?
When it comes down to it, your hub is the brain of your smart home. It is responsible for interacting with and transmitting information between your various smart home devices. The hub is also capable of working in conjunction with the software, which is specifically designed for each device. Usually, the hub can be controlled through a smartphone application or through a web interface.
Within the application, you will be able to setup different circumstances or scenarios. When these things are triggered a series of events, which have been preconfigured by you, will occur. For instance, you can setup your smart home to react, when it hears you say, “Hello”. With this command, you can setup your hub to turn on your lights, switch on your thermostat and lock your doors.
When you’ve setup the best home automation system imaginable, the possibilities are truly endless. With this in mind, you will want to explore the best smart home systems reviews below.
Crestron CP3 3-Series Control System
If you are amid the Smart Home transformation, you should definitely consider adding the Creston CP3 to your supply list. You can manage the system through the IP-based 3-Series platform that operates on a high performance level and delivers just like a network-grade server appliance. This high speed Home Automation System is also very energy efficient using only 15 watts of power.
- IP-Based control Automation System
- Seamlessly runs multiple programs and IP-enabled Smart Home Devices, PCs, laptops, Blu-Ray Disc players, etc. simultaneously
- Built-in 512 MB SDRAM
- Built-in 4 GB of flash memory
- 1-SD/SDHC memory card slot, which are capable of holding 8, 16, and 32 GB
- Compatible with external storage devices up to 1 TB that are equipped with 2.0 USB port
- Equipped with RS-232, LAN, Ethernet, input/output, and 3.5 mm audio ports
- Compatible with 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet for a rapid performance
- Infrared compatibility offers 1-way device control
- Equipped with LEDs for relaying messages and alerts
- Dimensions 44 mm H X 439 mm W X 167 mm D
- Weight 3.1 pounds
You can control, monitor, and program the Crestron Home Automation System through any Crestron app enabled iOS or Android device. You can also manage the Crestron system through your Smart TV using LAN, WAN, or Ethernet connectivity.
Crestron is the first technology company to develop an IP-Based control Home Automation System. This system is very complex and may not be for everyone, but its versatility is very difficult to ignore.
HomeSeer Home Troller S6 Home Automation Controller: Best Home Automation System
Smart Homes Technology devices continue to hit the market by storm. In order to offer convenient access and control of these devices, a Home Automation panel-type controller is required. While there is a large variety of Smart Homes Systems available on today’s market, all of them will fail in comparison with the HomeSeer Home Troller S6. This hardware controller has so much more to offer the homeowner than the competitor brand.
- Integrated with HS3 control software, voice programming/control/recognition, App Store updater, HSTouch Lite GUI, and text-to-speech processing
- No monthly fees
- Compatible with most iOS and Android devices
- Equipped with 2-RS323, 10/100/1000 LAN, HDMI, DVI, 6-USB, and microphone in/out ports
- Windows 7 operating system
- 2 GB RAM memory
- 32 GB SSD (HomeSeer standard (free) cloud-based storage)
- Integrated with HSInsteon and Z-Wave software plug-in
- Environmental friendly – 15 watts energy consumption
The Home Troller S6 allows you to manage the system through any web browser. You will need to download the associated HSTouch mobile app to your iOS or Android device, in order to gain remote access and control of the system. By purchasing the additional HomeSeer phone software, you will be able to send voice commands to the Troller S6 from your phone and receive alerts, when an alert is triggered.
This system which many believe to be the best Home Automation System gives you total freedom, by giving you the option of adding custom scripts to the platform with HTML coding. The HomeSeer Automation Engine is very user friendly and allows you to create scheduled events and scenes, as well.
When a sensor is triggered, you will receive an email or text to your app enabled device or wall controller. You can also set up the system to play sounds, run a script, dial a specific number, and send control lighting signals to alert you, when an event is triggered.
You can purchase an additional wall touchscreen remote that will allow you to fully access and control the Home Troller S6 Home Automation System. Although this system is integrated with Z-Wave and HSInsteon software codes, you will need to purchase the additional interface hardware (Z-Wave, UPB, X10, Insteon, etc.), in order to utilize each technology.
HomeSeer Home Troller-Sel Home Controller: Best Home Automation Systems
Many individuals are alternating their home into a Smart Home environment. There are a large variety of Smart Home devices available on today’s market that is compatible with the Z-Wave technology. In order to control them through one device, you will need to purchase a Smart Home remote control, which is able to communicate via most iOS and Android devices.
- 32 GB SSD (free standard cloud-based storage)
- 2 GB RAM
- Compatible with most iOS, and Android devices
- Supports most Z-Wave enabled devices (Schlage, Yale, Honeywell, Kwikset, Aeon Labs, etc.)
- User Friendly home automation engine for creating scenes and events
- Allows remote access and control (lock/unlock doors, turn lights on/off, adjust thermostat settings, etc.) of all Smart Home devices via the HSTouch mobile app
- Receive e-mail and text notifications (low battery, plumbing leaks, humidity, motion sensors, and temperature) via app enabled device
- No monthly fees
- Equipped with 3-USB, LAN, HDMI, VGA, and split audio ports
The HomeSeer Troller-Sel is compatible with most Z-Wave Smart Home devices, which are controlled through the Automation Engine. This is a very user friendly platform that allows the homeowner to create specific scenes and scheduled events.
The Home Automation controller is equipped with the HS3 application and HSTouch Lite interface (GUI). You must download the associated HSTouch app from the App Store to control the system from your mobile device. Voice recognition/control features allow the homeowner the option of communicating and initiating voice commands, while the text-to-speech allows the system to send audible notifications, reminders, and announcements to the source device.
The HomeSeer Home Troller-Sel is integrated with the Linux operating system, Z-Wave/HSInsteon software plug-in license codes. You will need to purchase an additional hardware interface (Insteon, Z-Wave, X10, UPB, etc.), in order to enable the Z-Wave platforms and other protocols.
Samsung SmartThings Hub
If you’re new to smart homes technology, you may want to stick with a less complicated alternative. This is where the Samsung SmartThings Hub comes into the picture. The hub is affordable, versatile and incredibly convenient. With this controller, you’ll be able to control, monitor and secure your home. The hub is compatible with a small collection of SmartThings devices. Although this does slightly limit the hub’s capabilities, it also makes the setup and installation much easier. The hub can also be utilized with Z-Wave, ZigBee and other Internet enabled devices.
- Connects directly to your router
- Can be utilized with all SmartThings devices
- Works with Z-Wave, ZigBee and other Internet enabled devices
- 4 AA batteries for 10 hours of battery life backup
- Compact at just 4.9 by 4.2 by 1.3 inches
- Associated Samsung SmartThings app is responsive and very versatile
- Works with sensors, lights, cameras, locks and more
- Easy to use, effortless to install and very affordable
In order to use this system, you will need to connect the hub directly to your router. Utilizing an Ethernet network switch can help, as it’ll transform one port into four. Once everything is up and running, you will be able begin connecting your devices to the hub. If you used a previous hub with your Z-Wave devices, you will need to unlink them, before connecting them directly to the SmartThings Hub.
Take note that the majority of the configuration process will need to be completed through your mobile device. Otherwise, the SmartThings Hub is a fairly impressive smart homes system, which is affordable, versatile and very reliable. It might not be as capable as some of the other expensive alternatives, but it still does a good job and is an excellent choice for anyone, who wishes to setup a home automation system.
Wink Connected Home Hub
If you’re an owner of some of the best smart home devices or wish to be, you should definitely check out the Wink Connected Home Hub. The product might be a little less costly, but it is still incredibly capable. With the new Wink HUB firmware, the consumer will be able to take advantage of a handful of new features.
- Compatible with an array of devices, including Amazon Echo, ZigBee and Z-Wave
- Also works with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Lutron ClearConnect for added versatility
- Wink App is responsive and readily available from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store
- Measures in at 8 by 3 by 8 inches and only weighs 2.1 pounds
- Wink Robots offer easy customization and allows products to work in conjunction to one another
- Wink Shortcuts give you the ability to control numerous products with one tap
- Effortless three step setup
- Works with 2.4Ghz routers with WPA-PSK, WEP or open security
- WPA-PSK security is recommended for added safety
When it comes down to it, the Wink Connected Home Hub isn’t perfect, but it has taken a big leap forward with its recent firmware update. It is exceptionally versatile and can be used with an enormous number of different smart home products. The installation is also incredibly easy and it shouldn’t take the consumer more than a few minutes to get everything squared away.
It might not offer the customization of its much more expensive counterparts, but the product is incredibly hard to ignore. For the price, it hits all of the right spots and is a great starter hub for anyone, who is interested in embracing smart home technologies!
VeraEdge Home Controller
There are many excellent smart home hubs and the VeraEdge Home Controller is certainly hard to ignore. It is a wonderful option for consumers, who are operating on a limited budget. Still, the VeraEdge offers plenty of capability and will work in conjunction with a handful of devices. It works with brands, such as Nest, Yale, Schlage, Kwikset, Philips Hue, and more.
- Allows you to control up to 220 devices
- Offers an array of settings, including Home, Away, Night and Vacation
- Very affordable, when compared to many others
- One application controls your entire home automation system across various platforms, including PC, Mac, iOS and Android
- Gives you the ability to setup your own customized scenes and sequences
- Works with Z-Wave Plus (500 Series)
Although the VeraEdge is a great option, it is incompatible with some platforms. It doesn’t work with the x10 or the ZigBee right out of the box. Instead, it works solely with Z-Wave and Wi-Fi devices. Still, this doesn’t limit your options too badly. There are many excellent products that are compatible with the Z-Wave and the VeraEdge will work perfectly with them all.
For the price, the VeraEdge Home Controller is a good option for everyone. It can be used with some of the best smart home gadgets. Be sure to check out the product in more depth today!
Logitech Harmony Home Control
Logitech isn’t necessarily known for their smart home products, but this didn’t stop them from entering the industry anyway. The Logitech Harmony Home Control offers a variety of unique features, which aren’t available elsewhere. First, it comes with its own remote control. The consumer will have two options for controlling their smart home automation devices. They can utilize the included remote or their smartphone.
- Can be controlled from a smartphone app or included remote
- Works with entertainment and automation devices, including the Nest Learning Thermostat and the Philips Hue
- Included Harmony Hub allows the consumer to control devices, which are hidden behind walls
- Setup is effortless
- Compatible with 270,000 devices
- Allows the consumer to control up to 8 entertainment devices
- Can be used with an unlimited number of home automation devices
- Works with Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat, August, SmartThings and more
All in all, the Logitech Harmony Home Control might seem like a simplified device, but it is more than capable of satisfying the desires of many consumers. If you’re an entertainment junkie, the Logitech Harmony could very well be the best smart home hub for your individualistic situation. It is sleek, responsive and works with a variety of different smart devices. For the price, it is truly difficult to ignore. Check it out today!
Lutron L-BDG2-WH Caset Wireless Smart Bridge
If you’re looking for an affordable smart home hub, you should definitely check out the hub from Lutron. The hub is more than capable of satisfying those new to smart home technology, as well as veterans. With the free Lutron application, you will be able to control your home’s climate and lights from anywhere.
- Lutron App is responsive and easy to use
- Consumer can schedule daily events and customize scenes
- Works with up to 50 wireless devices
- Can be used with Nest and Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats
- Lights, shades and other electronics can be manipulated through the Apple Watch
- Comes with an innovative Geofencing feature, which will trigger events when you enter a preset proximity of your home
- Works with Caseta Wireless smart home devices
- Measures in at 2.8 by 2.8 by 1.2 inches and weighs 11.2 ounces
The Lutron L-BDG2-WH might not be as versatile as the more expensive alternatives, but it is still well worth its price. It can provide you with the ability to control an assortment of different devices, including those within and outside of the Caseta Wireless family of products. Also, the Geofencing feature is definitely a nice addition and can be used to switch on your lights, as soon as you enter your home. Also, the hub now works with the Apple HomeKit! This definitely enhances the hub significantly.
If you’re an Apple Watch owner, this may very well be the best home automation system for you! Regardless, this one should be explored in more depth, by anyone, who wishes to transform their house into a smart home.
Securifi Almond 2015 – Wireless Router/Range Extender And Home Automation Hub
If you are looking for a very affordable way to manage all of your Smart Home devices, while extending your wireless range, you should definitely consider the Securifi Almond 2015. This device offers Home Automation management and a 3,000 square foot long Wi-Fi range.
- 3,000 square foot Wi-Fi range
- Compatible with most iOS and Android devices
- Compatible with most Smart Home devices (Schlage, Yale, and Kwikset keypad Smart Locks)
- Built-in touchscreen
- No source device required
- Wireless 802.11bgn router
- Uses Ethernet connectivity
- Extremely affordable
- Wireless Bridge will connect wired-only devices to Wi-Fi network
- No monthly fees
The Securifi is integrated with the ZigBee HA 1.2 technology. An unlimited array of compatible devices are available including the key fob, LED light strip/bulb, door/window magnetic sensor, PIR motion detector, electrical outlet, and the Poly-Control door lock.
You have the option of downloading the Almond 2015 mobile app to your source device. After performing the download, you will simply complete the initial setup, and then you can begin programing the Securifi. You will receive notifications and reminders to your source device, when an alarm is triggered or when battery replacement is required.