In order to better secure your home, it is imperative to embrace technology. There are numerous smart home security systems out there and each of them will be able to enhance your home’s security to a degree. Of course, choosing the best smart home security system is anything, but easy. Should you choose an entire system, which comes with smart cameras, sensors and alarms? Or, would you prefer to purchase individual devices and compile your own smart home security system? Below, you will learn more, which will help you make this determination.
Smart Home Monitoring
When attempting to make your determination, you should first figure out how much you’re willing to spend monthly. With a smart home camera and a few simple monitors, you might not have to spend anything from month to month. Of course, some consumers will be able to gain more peace of mind, by investing in a professionally monitored system, with wireless home security cameras. Therefore, you need to determine what type of monitoring you desire, before moving forward.
Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security System
Having a reliable wireless security system installed in your home will not only make you feel safer, but it will heighten the security around your home. The Simplisafe2 just happens to be one of the best security systems available on today’s market.
- Integrated with cellular connectivity, which is faster and more reliable than Wi-Fi connectivity
- No monthly monitoring commitment required, but you do have the option of 24/7 professional monitoring for $14.99 a month
- Easy wireless installation process
- Panic button included in package
- Wireless sensor range of 500′
- Includes a carbon monoxide detector
- 3-Year manufacturer’s warranty on parts and workmanship
- Water leak/freeze, door, window, and motion pre-programed sensors included in package
- Digital keypad monitor will work, even after being smashed
- Compatible with most iOS, Android, and Windows devices
Once you receive your Simplisafe2 security system, you will need to download the Simplisafe app to your mobile device and complete the initial setup. The Simplisafe2 operates off of your preexisting cellular service. You will then be able to program, control, manage, and view stored data, whenever you want.
The monitor is wireless, so you can take it with you anywhere within the home. The monitor and sensors operate on battery power, so there is no wiring installation process required. The lithium batteries will offer a long lifespan of 5-years. It is also embedded with built-in rechargeable backup battery, so the system will continue to operate, even when there is a power outage in your vicinity.
The brains of the system are embedded into the base station, which offers more security in case of a burglary. If a burglar smashes the keypad to prevent detection, the system will continue to operate without skipping a beat. The door and window sensors are very sensitive and will detect movement, as soon as the magnet is moved 2″ from the sensor.
The keychain remote will allow you to arm/disarm the security system, so you can enter your home, without setting off the alarm. When one of the sensors are triggered, you will receive an immediate notification via your app enabled device, plus an audible alarm will be initiated.
Honeywell Lynx Touch L7000 Home Automation And Security Alarm Kit
Honeywell is a very popular brand that continues to manufacture high-quality products that are capable of simplifying and heightening the security around your home. The Lynx Touch L7000 is another innovate device that will provide you and your family peace of mind, while keeping burglars at bay.
- Integrated with cellular 3G GSM, but Z-Wave and Wi-Fi modules are included in package
- Desk/wall monitor has a built-in 7″ high-resolution LCD touchscreen (requires external compatible camera)
- Compatible with Z-Wave enabled, iOS, and Android devices
- Provides the homeowner with a live weather alerts and current temperature
- Includes motion, door, and window sensors with magnet
- Embedded with 128-bit encryption
- Two-way voice over Wi-Fi technology
- 10 Optional chime tones
Once you receive your new Honeywell Touch, you will simply download the associated LYNX Connect app (available at the Apple App Store for a small fee) and then complete the initial setup. If you want to receive a live video feed, you will need to purchase an indoor IPCAM-PT2 ($234.49 each) or outdoor IPCAM-WO camera ($252 each).
If you have a Z-Wave Smart Hub, you will be able to integrate the L7000 to the system for remote control. The user friendly 7″ LCD touchscreen has large icons, letters, and numbers that are very clear and easy to read. You can create up to 48 programmable user codes and setup 24 key fobs to share with your family and friends.
A key fob is included in the package and will allow you the option of arming/disarming the system, before you enter your home to prevent triggering an alarm. Includes an emergency battery for emergencies, when there is a power outage in your vicinity.
You can purchase a variety of add-on detectors and sensors that are compatible with the Honeywell L7000 including a carbon monoxide sensor ($89.69), glass break detector ($68.99), and etc. A Honeywell 5877GDPK garage control kit ($99) is required to be able to remotely open/close the door. A 5877 relay receiver and SSA1 strobe/sounder (included in the kit) must also be installed, if you want to receive audible and visible alerts. This kit only controls 1 garage door, but the Honeywell Touch 7000 can monitor 4-garage doors simultaneously.
The system stores up to 256 events, so you can view them at a later date. The Honeywell L7000 does not require a monitoring fee, but they do offer two different package rates for $10-12 a month. This rate is locked in at the time of purchase and is guaranteed not to increase.
Overall, the Honeywell Lynx Touch L7000 is a reliable system, but you must take note of the items that are included in the purchase price. You do have the option of upgrading the system with other Honeywell Connect enabled devices, but these do cost an additional fee. If you own this system or are contemplating the purchase, you will want to be sure to check out additional Honeywell Wireless Sensors.
Night Owl Security 8 Channel Smart Security System
If you are looking for a Smart Home security system that is highly rated by the consumer, you should look no further than the Night Owl. This system includes 4 HD 720p cameras (expandable up to 8 cameras) that are suitable for indoor or outdoor use. The pre-installed 1 TB hard drive will store a large volume of data and videos.
- Compatible with Windows XP/7/8, iOS 5 and later, Mac (Safari 5.1 and later), and Android 3.0 and later
- Weatherproof design (-14-122 degrees Fahrenheit)
- DC 12V/2A
- DVR measurements 13.8″ L X 9.3″ W X 2.3″ D
- Supports multiple languages English, French, and Spanish
- Each camera is embedded with 30 LEDs
- Night vision with a length of 100′
- 1-HDMI output, 4-Audio inputs, 8-Video inputs, 1-USB, 1-MicroUSB
- Includes a 60′ electrical power cable and 60′ of BNC coaxial cabling
- Video sharing option
- Includes a 1-Year manufacturer’s warranty in the purchase price
You can download the HD Night Owl app to your mobile device, so you can remotely control the security system from anywhere around the globe. This is a hard-wired system, so you will need to read the directions thoroughly, before installing. The installation guide is self-explanatory and contains step-by-step instructions that will lead you through the process. Night Owl has also set up installation videos on You Tube that will help those individuals that are not mechanically inclined.
The wide-view 720p HD camera will provide a high-quality video, so you will not have any issues viewing or identifying objects and facial features, even after dark. If you are concerned about storage space, you will need to select the motion-activated recording schedule. This will increase the amount of time it would generally take for the HDD to become full.
Three users can access the security system via several smart devices simultaneously. When a motion sensor is triggered, you will receive an immediate notification with attached video via your e-mail or app enabled device. If you are concerned about making frequent adjustments after the camera is mounted on an eave or wall. You should not, because the 3-axis mount allows you to move the camera up/down, and left/right.
If you want to remotely view the security system, you will need to plug the DVR/HDD into your Ethernet router. You can view a live feed on your computer monitor, without needing to connect to the Internet.
The Night Owl Smart 8 Channel System is highly recommended by consumers that have invested in this security system. There is one downside to this system and that is it does not have audio capabilities. Night Owl offers a wireless outdoor microphone that is compatible with this particular system for additional fee.
Piper NV Smart Home Security System
If you are searching for an indoor camera that is integrated with a variety of features that will keep your home safe, then you should definitely consider the Piper NV. This security system is integrated with Wi-Fi technology, so it will communicate with most iOS and Android devices.
- Built-in 105 dB audible siren
- Embedded with motion, door/window, sound, and environmental (indoor/outdoor temperature, humidity) sensors
- HD camera with night vision (180 degree viewing area)
- Camera is integrated with the zoom, tilt, and pan features
- Built-in two-way audio speaker
- Z-Wave technology capabilities (Series 500 Z-Wave controller)
- Compatible with most iOS 7 and later and Android 2.3.3. devices
- Stores 1,000 3MB 25-second video clips via Piper’s standard cloud storage (free to use)
- Wireless plug and play installation
- No monthly service fee for monitoring services required
- 1-Year manufacture’s warranty included in the purchase price
To remotely control the Piper NV, you will need to download the Piper app to your source device and complete the initial setup. You will have the option of viewing stored videos or watching a live feed from anywhere around the globe. When a motion sensor is triggered, you will immediately receive a notification with attached video via your app enabled device and an audible alarm will be initiated.
The two-way speaker/microphone will allow you to communicate with those that are in the same room with Piper. When the cloud storage is full, Piper will erase the oldest video, so it can continue to record without skipping a beat.
Includes 3 AA batteries, which will offer 5-hours of run time, when there is a power outage in your vicinity. You can purchase the compatible Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave window/door sensor for an additional $27.95 and Smart switch for $39.95.
The night vision feature will allow you to see an object or facial features, even when it is pitch dark in your home. The system is integrated with high-grade security encryption, so online hackers cannot access your videos or data. The great thing about the Piper NV is it acts as a home automation hub and you do not have to purchase an additional Z-Wave Z-Stick, which would cost around $45. You will be able to control all of your Z-Wave enabled devices via the Piper app.
Zmodo Smart Wireless Home Security Camera System
There is no better way to enhance the security around your home or business than with Smart Home camera system. The Zmodo Smart Home Security System may be exactly what you are searching for, because it includes everything that you will ever need to keep your home safe and burglars at bay.
- Compatible with most iOS (6 and later) and Android (2.3 and later) devices
- Includes 4-720p HD cameras with a 2.1 mm lens and infrared night vision
- 3-Year manufacturer’s warranty included in purchase price
- Easily installation with no configuration or hard wiring required
- 1 TB hard drive, with 500 GB of storage space
- 1-HDMI output port
- 3 Recording modes (intelligent, motion detected, and normal)
- 25fps real-time recording, when motion is detected
- Integrated with 2.4GHz wireless and IP connectivity
The wide view (diagonal) 105 degree camera will provide a larger viewing area. These cameras are not designed for outdoor use, so be sure to keep this in mind, when you are considering purchasing the Zmodo. The night vision is capable of providing a 30′ clear view. Each camera is integrated with a two-way audio speaker, so you can utilize it as a baby monitor.
When the motion detector is triggered, you will receive an immediate notification with a snapshot attachment via your app enabled device. You can also share data with your Facebook friends via the MeShare app. You will also have the option of watching a live video feed or viewing a recorded video at a later date.
Overall, the Zmodo Smart wireless camera system is very reliable and will enhance the security around your home. This is for indoor use, but each camera is embedded with a two-way audio, so it can be utilized for baby monitoring.